Generic Name and Formulations:
Procarbazine (as HCl) 50mg; caps.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for MATULANE:
Stage III and IV Hodgkin's disease as part of the MOPP (nitrogen mustard, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone) regimen.
Initially 2–4mg/kg per day for the first week, then 4–6mg/kg per day until max response is obtained or until WBCs <4,000cells/mm3 or platelets <100,000cells/mm3. Maintain at 1–2mg/kg per day once max response attained. In MOPP regimen: 100mg/m2 daily for 14 days.
Individualize. Initially 50mg/m2 per day for the first week, then 100mg/m2 per day until max response is obtained or leukopenia or thrombocytopenia occurs. Maintain at 50mg/m2 per day once max response attained.
Inadequate marrow reserve.
Discontinue if CNS effects (eg, paresthesias, neuropathies, confusion), leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hypersensitivity reactions, stomatitis, diarrhea, hemorrhage or bleeding tendencies occur. Hepatic or renal impairment. Obtain baseline CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, hematocrit, reticulocytes, platelets prior to therapy, then monitor at least every 3–4 days. Do renal and hepatic function tests before starting therapy, then repeated weekly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid sympathomimetics, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, imipramine), foods with high tyramine content (eg, wine, yogurt, ripe cheese, bananas). CNS depression with barbiturates, antihistamines, narcotics, hypotensive agents, phenothiazines. Disulfiram-like reactions with alcohol. Separate radiation or other myelosuppressives by at least 1 month (allow for bone marrow recovery).
Leukopenia, anemia, thrombopenia, GI upset, bleeding tendencies, CNS effects, dysphagia, anorexia, abdominal pain, hypotension, tachycardia, syncope, cough, alopecia, dermatitis, pain, others.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis