Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for MACRODANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 50–100mg at bedtime.
Take with food. <1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses.
Anuria, oliguria, CrCl <60mL/min. Neonates <1 month of age. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary reactions, hepatic disorders, or hemolysis occurs. Renal insufficiency; monitor (esp. in elderly). G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Monitor renal function and pulmonary condition in long-term use. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Reduced absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Uricosurics (eg, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone) may inhibit tubular secretion. May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, headache, dizziness, anorexia, alopecia; C. diff-associated diarrhea, pulmonary disorders, hepatic damage, hemolytic anemia, peripheral neuropathy (may be irreversible), anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias; rare: exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, aplastic anemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds