Generic Name and Formulations:
Tranexamic acid 650mg; tabs.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for LYSTEDA:
Cyclic heavy menstrual bleeding.
Treat for up to 5 days during menses. Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: Normal renal function (serum creatinine ≤1.4mg/dL): 1300mg three times daily; Cr >1.4–2.8mg/dL: 1300mg twice daily; Cr >2.8–5.7mg/dL: 1300mg once daily; Cr >5.7mg/dL: 650mg once daily.
Premenarchal: not recommended.
Active thromboembolic (eg, DVT, PE, cerebral thrombosis). History or risk of thrombosis or thromboembolism (eg, retinal vein or artery occlusion; thrombogenic valvular disease, thrombogenic cardiac rhythm disease, hypercoagulopathy). Concomitant combination hormonal contraceptives.
Exclude endometrial pathology prior to initiation. Not for use in postmenopausal women. Discontinue immediately if retinal venous or arterial occlusion occurs. Subarachnoid hemorrhage (cerebral edema/infarction may occur). Acute promyelocytic leukemia treated with oral tretinoin (increased procoagulant effect). Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of thrombotic events (eg, stroke, MI) with hormonal contraceptives (esp. in obese or smokers >35yrs old), Factor IX complex concentrates, anti-inhibitor coagulant concentrates, oral tretinoin. Tissue plasminogen activators (tPAs) may decrease efficacy of both tranexamic acid and tPAs.
Headache, sinus/nasal symptoms, pain (back, abdomen, musculoskeletal, joint), muscle cramps, migraine, anemia, fatigue; visual/ocular events, severe allergic reaction, ligneous conjunctivitis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force