Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphenoxylate HCl 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Indications for LOMOTIL:
Adjunct therapy in the management of diarrhea.
≥13yrs: 2 tabs 4 times daily until diarrhea is controlled; max 20mg/day. Maintenance: 2 tabs daily. Discontinue if no improvement within 10 days after treatment with max dose.
<13yrs: not established.
Age <6yrs (risks of respiratory and/or CNS depression). Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous enterocolitis or other enterotoxin-producing bacteria due to risk of GI complications (including sepsis). Obstructive jaundice.
Dehydration. Electrolyte imbalance. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if toxic megacolon occurs. Hepatic or renal impairment. Drug abusers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Avoid alcohol. Concomitant MAOIs may cause hypertensive crisis; avoid use. Potentiates sedation with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, tranquilizers, general anesthetics, antipsychotics, opioids, buspirone, antihistamines, muscle relaxants); monitor closely. May delay elimination of other drugs metabolized by CPY450.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, euphoria, tachycardia, numbness of extremities, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anticholinergic effects; respiratory depression (overdosage), atropinism (esp. in pediatrics with Down's syndrome).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Nonsinogenic Headache vs Chronic Rhinosinusitis Differential Diagnosis Based on SNOT-22 Patterns
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- Factors Promoting Participation in Self-Management Training Program for Chronic Pain
- Gendered Perceptions of Socially Acceptable Pain Relief Strategies
- Majority of Internists Still Have Financial Ties to Industry