Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibrate 50mg, 150mg; caps.
Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc.
Indications for LIPOFEN:
Adjunct to diet when response to nondrug therapy is inadequate in hypertriglyceridemia (Types IV and V), and to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, apo B, and TG, and to increase HDL-C, in primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia (Type IIa and IIb).
Take with food. Hypertriglyceridemia: 50–150mg/day, adjust at 4–8 week intervals; max 150mg/day. Hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia: 150mg/day. Renal impairment or elderly: initially 50mg/day. Discontinue if inadequate response after 2 months on max dose.
Hepatic dysfunction. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Severe renal dysfunction. Gallbladder disease.
Renal impairment. Monitor CBCs for first year; monitor liver function; discontinue if ALT (SGPT) levels >3xULN persist. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, hypersensitivity reactions, or severely depressed HDL levels occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid statins. Potentiates oral anticoagulants (reduce anticoagulant dose and monitor PT/INR). Allow at least 1 hour before or 4–6 hours after bile acid sequestrants. Caution with immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine, tacrolimus), colchicine, other nephrotoxic drugs.
Abnormal liver function tests, elevated CPK, respiratory or GI effects, myopathy, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe), rash; rare: rhabdomyolysis, transient hematologic changes, blood dyscrasias.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use