Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1.2g; del-rel tabs.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for LIALDA:
To induce remission in active, mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis; and to maintain remission of ulcerative colitis.
≥18yrs: Swallow whole with a meal. 2.4–4.8g once daily for up to 8 weeks. Maintenance: 2.4g once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sulfasalazine allergy. Upper GI tract obstruction (eg, pyloric stenosis) may delay onset of action. Discontinue if acute intolerance syndrome is suspected. Conditions predisposing to myocarditis or pericarditis. Atopic dermatitis or eczema: may have more severe photosensitivity reactions. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor renal function prior to and periodically during therapy. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased toxicity with nephrotoxic drugs (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine. May cause elevated test results in measuring urinary normetanephrine.
Ulcerative colitis, headache, flatulence, abnormal LFTs, abdominal pain; acute intolerance syndrome (cramping, bloody diarrhea, fever, headache, rash), renal impairment, cardiac hypersensitivity reactions, pancreatitis (rare).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds