Good screening is key to good treatment.
It is not hard to understand that pain can make sleep difficult, but how does sleep disturbance drive pain sensitivity?
Treating this neuropathic pain condition can be complicated because of polypharmacy, drug dosing schedules, adverse events, drug-drug interactions, and patient comorbidities.
Advising patients to ask questions before surgery can reduce communication problems after surgery.
The Institute of Medicine has estimated that chronic pain affects approximately 100 million adults in the United States, with an estimated annual cost of up to $635 billion.
Developing drugs that selectively block specific sodium channels could be the holy grail of neuropathic pain treatment.
Research on the relationship between footwear, injury and subsequent pain rates is limited. A switch to a minimalist shoe or barefoot running should be done gradually.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Half of Patients Referred for Behavioral Treatment of Migraine Never Initiate Treatment
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness