Most cases of leukopenia are associated with a low number of granulocytes.
Decreased production of granulocytes may be caused by marrow failure, infiltration of the marrow by leukemic cells or metastatic cancer cells, suppression of granulocyte production by certain drugs, and vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
There may be an accelerated removal of granulocytes following exposure to certain drugs, as part of an autoimmune disorder, in certain infections, or from splenic sequestration of granulocytes.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important test: WBC count and differential
Peripheral blood smear and bone marrow aspirate, with or without bone marrow biopsy, is informative in the diagnosis of certain leukopenias.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Non-Opioid Therapies for Pain Management in the ED
- CBT vs Pain Education for Chronic Pain in Low-Income Clinics
- Factors Predicting Pain Outcomes After TKR for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Peripherally Acting Opioid and Cannabinoid May Be Effective for Neuropathic Pain
- Lumbar Disc Herniation With Radiculopathy Treatment Using Targeted Indwelling ESI
- Exploring the Connections Between Neuropathic Pain and Comorbid Mood Disorders
- Medical Marijuana Laws, Dispensaries May Reduce Deaths From Opioid Overdose
- Ketamine Infusion May Be Effective for the Short-Term Relief of CRPS-Associated Pain
- An Avenue for the Development of Opioid Adjuncts for Enhanced Analgesia, Reduced Abuse Potential
- Peripheral Neuropathy Management in the Primary Care Setting: A Guide
- Once-Monthly Erenumab Injections May Be Effective for Episodic Migraine Prophylaxis
- The Pros and Cons of Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing
- Predicting Best Outcomes of Intra-Articular Hyaluronic Acid Treatment in Knee OA
- Virtual Reality as a Distraction From Pain During Medical Procedures
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments