Most cases of leukopenia are associated with a low number of granulocytes.
Decreased production of granulocytes may be caused by marrow failure, infiltration of the marrow by leukemic cells or metastatic cancer cells, suppression of granulocyte production by certain drugs, and vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
There may be an accelerated removal of granulocytes following exposure to certain drugs, as part of an autoimmune disorder, in certain infections, or from splenic sequestration of granulocytes.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important test: WBC count and differential
Peripheral blood smear and bone marrow aspirate, with or without bone marrow biopsy, is informative in the diagnosis of certain leukopenias.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Relationship Between Pain and Negative Affect
- Fluoroscopically Guided Sacroiliac Interventions: Appropriate Use Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts