Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Lower Weighting of Hand Cortical Representations in CRPS
- Predicting Success of Focal Nerve Surgery Based on Diagnostic Block Response
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- FDA Announces Draft Guidance for Consumer OTC Access to Previously Prescription Drugs
- Maryland Legislature: Will Federal Courts Permit State Regulation of Drug Prices?