Elevated TSH – Hypothyroidism
Euthyroid sick syndrome
Early diagnosis and treatment of infantile hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone prevents irreversible mental retardation and growth impairment.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hashimoto thyroiditis accounts for about 90% of all hypothyroidism cases.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
T4 is normal and then becomes low preceding a decline in T3.
Antithyroid peroxidase and antithyroglobulin tests are positive.
Ablative hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low following a procedure that ablates the thyroid gland.
Infantile hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low in a newborn or infant.
Euthyroid sick syndrome
In moderately ill patients, T4 is normal with a low T3, a reverse T3 is elevated, and TSH is normal.
In severely ill patients, T4 is low with a low T3, an elevated reverse T3, and a low TSH.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer