Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetracaine HCl, oxymetazoline HCl 6mg/0.1mg; per spray; aqueous soln for intranasal use.
St. Renatus, LLC
Indications for KOVANAZE :
Regional anesthesia for restorative procedures on Teeth 4–13 and A–J in adults and children weighing ≥40kg.
≥18yrs: 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray. 1 additional spray can be given if inadequate response achieved 10mins after the second spray.
<3yrs or <40kg: not recommended. ≥3yrs (≥40kg): 2 sprays (0.2mL each) given 4–5mins apart, in the nostril ipsilateral to the maxillary tooth on which the dental procedure will be performed. Initiate dental procedure 10mins after the second spray.
Monitor for hypertension and dysphagia. Uncontrolled hypertension or uncontrolled active thyroid disease: not recommended. History of frequent nosebleeds (≥5/month); avoid or monitor carefully if used. G6PD deficiency. History of congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia: not recommended. Severe hepatic disease or pseudocholinesterase deficiency: monitor for toxicity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Topical anesthetic + sympathomimetic.
Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilide, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, p-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine; monitor carefully. Increased risk of hypertension with MAOIs, nonselective beta adrenergic antagonists, TCAs: not recommended; use alternative anesthetic if unavoidable. Discontinue other oxymetazoline-containing products 24hrs prior to Kovanaze use. Avoid concomitant other intranasal products.
Rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, nasal discomfort, oropharyngeal pain, increased lacrimation; transient BP increase, epistaxis, methemoglobinemia, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose nasal spray (0.2mL)—30
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Managing Comorbid Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- What Do Clinicians Do in Response to Aberrant Urine Drug Test Results?
- Photo Elicitation on Social Media Can Provide Perspective to Patients With Chronic Pain
- Patients Assume Postoperative Opioids Are Best for Pain Relief
- Educational Disabilities More Likely With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- When Will Medicine Join the Women's Movement?