Neuromodulation techniques have been explored as alternative treatment options in patients with trigeminal neuralgia who do not achieve adequate pain relief with pharmacologic therapies and surgical interventions.
Fluoroscope-reported values may overestimate total patient entrance dose-area product used in lumbar epidural injections.
Factors including male gender and high body mass index were found to be independent risk factors for suboptimal interscalene brachial plexus block in patients undergoing arthroscopic elective shoulder arthroscopy.
When used in combination with local anesthetics, dexmedetomidine may increase nerve block-associated analgesia for approximately 5 hours, but use of dexmedetomidine may be associated with a higher risk for intraoperative hypotension and bradycardia.
Several clinical trials have demonstrated the SPRINT PNS System to be effective in reducing pain and improving quality of life.
Sodium bicarbonate-buffered lidocaine may be superior to nonbuffered lidocaine in reducing onset time and injection pain during inferior alveolar nerve block.
Intrathecal drug delivery systems may be ineffective in reducing pain and oral opioid intake in individuals with complex regional pain syndrome.
Radiofrequency denervation, typically used to treat lumbar and cervical zygapophyseal joint pain, has shown efficacy in treating thoracic zygapophyseal joint pain.
Superficial cervical plexus block may be safe and effective for use in emergency medicine.
Popliteal Sciatic Nerve Block May Increase Time to First Opioid Request in Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Patients with type 2 diabetes and diabetic peripheral neuropathy may have an increased time to first opioid request and reduced time to onset of sensory blockade after an ultrasound-guided popliteal sciatic nerve block compared with patients without neuropathy.
The cervical facet plane block is a procedure in which a needle is inserted onto the extraarticular surface of the facet joints.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds