Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Indications for INFED:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
Give by IV or by deep IM (into upper outer quadrant of buttock only) inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemias not associated with iron deficiency.
Risk for anaphylactic-type reactions.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of drug allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Dialysis. Cardiovascular disease. May reactivate quiescent rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates (avoid during first 4 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin or decrease serum calcium levels.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal; even if test dose was tolerated), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others; possible IM inj site tumors, sepsis in neonates.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Managing Comorbid Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- What Do Clinicians Do in Response to Aberrant Urine Drug Test Results?
- Photo Elicitation on Social Media Can Provide Perspective to Patients With Chronic Pain
- Patients Assume Postoperative Opioids Are Best for Pain Relief
- Educational Disabilities More Likely With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- When Will Medicine Join the Women's Movement?