Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin lispro (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL, 200 Units/mL; soln for SC inj or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for HUMALOG:
Adults and Children:
<3yrs: not recommended. Onset approx ≤15 mins, peak approx 1hr, duration approx 3.5–4.5hrs. ≥3yrs: Give SC, either by injection or continuous infusion external pump. SC inj: give 15 mins before meal or immediately after a meal; use with an intermediate or long-acting insulin. Rotate inj sites. Continuous SC infusion pump: do not use diluted or mixed insulins in external pumps; change the Humalog in the reservoir at least every 7 days, change the infusion sets and insertion site at least every 3 days.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share pens, needles, cartridges, or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, pramlintide, ACE inhibitors, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, atypical antipsychotics. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. When mixing insulin lispro with other insulins, draw insulin lispro into syringe first and inject mixture immediately.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Humalog Mix75/25, Humalog vials (10mL)—1; Humalog Mix, Humalog U-100 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-100 Junior Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-200 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL)—5; Humalog cartridges (3mL)—5; HumaPen LUXURA HD (inj device, uses Humalog cartridges)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury: Causes and Management
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Migraine Frequency Correlated With Depression and Anxiety
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts