Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin lispro (rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL, 200 Units/mL; soln for SC inj or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump; contains zinc, m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for HUMALOG:
Adults and Children:
<3yrs: not recommended. Onset ≤15mins, peak approx. 0.5–1.5hrs, duration approx. 3–5hrs. ≥3yrs: Give SC, either by injection or continuous infusion external pump. SC inj: give 15 mins before meal or immediately after a meal; use with an intermediate or long-acting insulin. Rotate inj sites. Continuous SC infusion pump: do not use diluted or mixed insulins in external pumps; change the Humalog in the reservoir at least every 7 days, change the infusion sets and insertion site at least every 3 days.
During episodes of hypoglycemia.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share pens, needles, cartridges, or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, pramlintide, ACE inhibitors, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, atypical antipsychotics. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. When mixing insulin lispro with other insulins, draw insulin lispro into syringe first and inject mixture immediately.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Humalog Mix75/25, Humalog vials (10mL)—1; Humalog Mix, Humalog U-100 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-100 Junior Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL), Humalog U-200 Kwikpen (prefilled) (3mL)—5; Humalog cartridges (3mL)—5; HumaPen LUXURA HD (inj device, uses Humalog cartridges)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Analyzing Coverage of Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Low Back Pain
- Smartphone App Helps Evaluate Catastrophizing in Chronic Pain
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Dsuvia Gains FDA Approval: We Want to Hear Your Thoughts
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Dozens of Medical Groups Join Forces to Improve Diagnoses
- FDA Grants Non-Opioid Analgesic VVZ-149 Fast Track Status
- Little to No Association Found Between Physician Performance and Medical School Ranking