Compared with placebo, gabapentin administered pre- and postoperatively may reduce the time to postoperative opioid cessation, but was not shown to improve postoperative pain resolution.
From 2002 to 2015, the percentage of individuals in the United States who used gabapentin and/or pregabalin increased in 1.2% to 3.9%.
Both gabapentin and opioids are commonly prescribed for the treatment of pain, making the likelihood of these two agents being prescribed together high.
The dopaminergic medication rotigotine and the α-2-δ ligands gabapentin enacarbil and pregabalin provide similar treatment effects for patients with restless leg syndrome.
Gabapentinoid use presents significant risk for adverse events and provides few benefits for patients with chronic low back pain.
The use of gabapentin, pregabalin, or both is effective for reducing pruritus and neuropathic pain in burn survivors.
Patients with neuropathic pain are more likely to achieve effective therapeutic dose when treated with pregabalin compared with gabapentin.
Preemptive analgesia seeks to prevent central sensitization and ensuing chronic pain, a concept that has shown promising results in preliminary studies.
Clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids, in part as a response to the opioid epidemic, and prescribing them for almost any type of pain.
Gabapentin, at doses of 1800 mg to 3600 mg can provide "good levels of pain relief" to some individuals suffering from postherpetic neuralgia and peripheral diabetic neuropathy.
In a 3-year period, 45% of patients with trigeminal neuralgia received at least 3 unique treatments.
A number of shortcomings are associated with systematic reviews and meta-analyses of postoperative care.
Though there is no law that says patients must be told that the medications they have been prescribed are for an off-label use, and the FDA does not regulate the practice of medicine, I feel it is important to provide at least a brief explanation to my patients.
Symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy include lower-extremity weakness, in addition to tingling, pain and burning.
Lower cost for pregabalin Tx due to lower use of concomitant medications, fewer primary care visits, and fewer days of sick leave.
A surprising number of patients already prescribed opioids were found to be abusing gabapentin.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use Disorders: Advances in Pharmacotherapy Provide Long-term Results
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Prioritizing Rest in Hospital Settings: Poor Sleep Increases Costs, Complications, and Mortality
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- Addressing Commercial Incentives in the Medical Device Industry
- Cancer Patients Treated With Step III Opioids Often Have Sleep Disturbances
- Individual, Group Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective