Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin 25mg/5mL; susp.
Indications for FURADANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily. Suppressive therapy: 50–100mg once daily at bedtime may suffice.
Take with food. <1month: contraindicated. ≥1month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Suppressive therapy: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses may suffice.
Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min or significantly elevated serum creatinine), anuria, oliguria. Neonates. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary or hepatic disorders, hemolysis, or peripheral neuropathy occurs. Renal insufficiency. G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Debilitated. Monitor renal and pulmonary function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid magnesium trisilicate. Antagonized by, and increased toxicity with uricosurics (eg, probenecid). May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, emesis, anorexia, dizziness, headache, pulmonary or hematological disorders (esp. in long-term use), peripheral neuropathy, allergic reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: hepatic dysfunction, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, optic neuritis, methemoglobinemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds