Generic Name and Formulations:
Lanthanum carbonate 500mg, 750mg, 1000mg; chew tabs.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for FOSRENOL:
To reduce serum phosphate in end-stage renal disease.
Take with meals. Chew or crush tabs completely before swallowing. Poor dentition or difficulty chewing tabs: consider using oral pwd form. Oral pwd: sprinkle on small quantity of applesauce or similar food and consume immediately; do not dissolve pwd in liquid for administration. Initially 1.5g/day in divided doses. Titrate at 2–3 wk intervals in increments of 750mg/day based on serum phosphate. Usual range: 1.5g–3g.
Bowl obstruction, including ileus and fecal impaction.
Chew tabs: risk of GI obstruction and perforation esp. in patients with altered GI anatomy (eg, diverticular disease, peritonitis, history of GI surgery, cancer, ulceration) and hypomotility disorders (eg, constipation, ileus, subileus, diabetic gastroparesis). Monitor serum phosphate levels. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Separate dosing of drugs that interact with antacids by 2hrs. Antagonizes quinolone antibiotics; give quinolone 1hr before or 4hrs after Fosrenol. If quinolone given for short course, consider eliminating Fosrenol doses scheduled near quinolone intake to improve quinolone absorption. Antagonizes levothyroxine; separate administration by 2hrs, monitor TSH levels. Increased risk of GI obstruction or perforation with concomitant calcium channel blockers. May interfere with abdominal x-ray.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain; serious GI effects.
Tabs 500mg patient pack (2 x 45 tabs)—1; Tabs 750mg patient pack (6 x 15 tabs)—1; Tabs 1000mg patient pack (9 x 10 tabs)—1; Oral pwd stick pack—10; Oral pwd patient pack (9 x 10 stick packs)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit