FOSRENOL ORAL POWDER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lanthum carbonate 750mg, 1000mg; per stick pack.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for FOSRENOL ORAL POWDER:
To reduce serum phosphate in end-stage renal disease.
Take with meals. Chew or crush tabs completely before swallowing. Poor dentition or difficulty chewing tabs: consider using oral pwd form. Oral pwd: sprinkle on small quantity of applesauce or similar food and consume immediately; do not dissolve pwd in liquid for administration. Initially 1.5g/day in divided doses. Titrate at 2–3 wk intervals in increments of 750mg/day based on serum phosphate. Usual range: 1.5g–3g.
Bowl obstruction, including ileus and fecal impaction.
Chew tabs: risk of GI obstruction and perforation esp. in patients with altered GI anatomy (eg, diverticular disease, peritonitis, history of GI surgery, cancer, ulceration) and hypomotility disorders (eg, constipation, ileus, subileus, diabetic gastroparesis). Monitor serum phosphate levels. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Separate dosing of drugs that interact with antacids by 2hrs. Antagonizes quinolone antibiotics; give quinolone 1hr before or 4hrs after Fosrenol. If quinolone given for short course, consider eliminating Fosrenol doses scheduled near quinolone intake to improve quinolone absorption. Antagonizes levothyroxine; separate administration by 2hrs, monitor TSH levels. Increased risk of GI obstruction or perforation with concomitant calcium channel blockers. May interfere with abdominal x-ray.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain; serious GI effects.
Tabs 500mg patient pack (2 x 45 tabs)—1; Tabs 750mg patient pack (6 x 15 tabs)—1; Tabs 1000mg patient pack (9 x 10 tabs)—1; Oral pwd stick pack—10; Oral pwd patient pack (9 x 10 stick packs)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force