Generic Name and Formulations:
Teriparatide (recombinant) 250mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for FORTEO:
Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women who are at high risk for fracture. To increase bone mass in men with primary or hypogonadal osteoporosis who are at high risk for fracture. Treatment of men and women with osteoporosis associated with sustained glucocorticoid therapy at high risk for fracture (see literature).
20mcg SC once daily into thigh or abdominal wall; may treat for up to 2 years.
Potential risk of osteosarcoma.
Increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (eg, Paget's disease of bone, unexplained increased alkaline phosphatase, open epiphyses, prior skeletal radiation therapy), bone metastases, history of skeletal malignancies, metabolic bone disease, hypercalcemia or risk thereof (eg, hyperparathyroidism): not recommended. Urolithiasis. Hypercalciuria. Hepatic, renal, or cardiac disease. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hormone (human parathyroid hormone, recombinant).
Caution with digoxin (teriparatide-induced hypercalcemia increases risk of toxicity).
Arthralgia, pain, nausea; transient orthostatic hypotension, hypercalcemia, hyperuricemia, inj site reactions.
Multidose Pen (2.4mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Managing Comorbid Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- What Do Clinicians Do in Response to Aberrant Urine Drug Test Results?
- Photo Elicitation on Social Media Can Provide Perspective to Patients With Chronic Pain
- Patients Assume Postoperative Opioids Are Best for Pain Relief
- Educational Disabilities More Likely With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- When Will Medicine Join the Women's Movement?