Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftazidime 500mg, 1g, 2g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 2.3mEq/g.
Indications for FORTAZ:
Susceptible infections including septicemia, pneumonia, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, urinary tract.
Uncomplicated UTIs: 250mg IV or IM every 12hrs. Complicated UTIs: 500mg IV or IM every 8–12hrs. Uncomplicated pneumonia, mild skin or skin structure: 500mg–1g IV or IM every 8hrs. Bone and joint: 2g IV every 12hrs. Serious gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, or very severe life-threatening (esp. immunocompromised): 2g IV every 8hrs. Lung infections by Pseudomonas in cystic fibrosis: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: CrCl 31–50mL/min: 1g every 12hrs; CrCl 16–30mL/min: 1g every 24hrs; CrCl 6–15mL/min: 500mg every 24hrs; CrCl <5mL/min: 500mg every 48hrs. Hemodialysis: 1g loading dose then 1g after dialysis session. Peritoneal dialysis: 1g loading dose then 500mg every 24hrs.
Neonates: 30mg/kg IV every 12hrs. 1mo–12yrs: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: reduce dose.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment; see Adult. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, poor nutritional states, or long-term use. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of aminoglycosides or diuretics. Antagonized by chloramphenicol. False (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's, or Fehling's soln.
Hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, pruritus, fever), local reactions, GI upset, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis