Generic Name and Formulations:
Epoprostenol (as sodium) 0.5mg, 1.5mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Indications for FLOLAN:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms, to improve exercise ability.
Give by continuous chronic IV infusion through a central venous catheter. Initially 2ng/kg/min; increase in increments of 1–2ng/kg/min at ≥15min intervals based on response. Decrease dose gradually in 2ng/kg/min decrements at ≥15min intervals until dose-limiting effects resolve.
Heart failure due to reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal or large dose reductions (may cause rebound pulmonary hypertension). Discontinue if pulmonary edema occurs; do not restart. Increased risk for hemorrhagic complications. Monitor BP and symptoms of vasodilation during initiation and after dose changes. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Hypotensive effects may be potentiated by diuretics, antihypertensive agents, other vasodilators. Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants, antiplatelets.
Dizziness, jaw pain, headache, musculoskeletal pain, nausea, vomiting, flushing.
Vials—1 (w. diluent)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds