Generic Name and Formulations:
Degarelix 80mg/vial, 120mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for FIRMAGON:
Advanced prostate cancer.
Give by SC inj in abdomen once every 28 days; avoid waist and rib areas. Two 120mg injections once, then one 80mg inj once every 28 days.
Congenital long QT syndrome. CHF. Correct electrolyte abnormalities. Monitor electrolytes and ECG periodically. Monitor serum PSA. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reaction occurs; do not rechallenge. Moderate or severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling, induration), hot flashes, increased weight, fatigue, increased transaminases, increased gamma-glutamyltransferase; QT prolongation.
Treatment Initiation pack (120mg/vial)—2 (w. supplies); Treatment Maintenance pack (80mg/vial)—1 (w. supplies)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer