Connective tissue massage combined with exercise was shown to reduce fibromyalgia-associated symptoms and to improve quality of life.
The US Preventive Services Task Force recommends exercise to prevent falls in at-risk community-dwelling adults aged 65 years and older.
Physiotherapy combined with routine or stabilization exercises is effective for reducing pain and improving muscle dimensions in patients with nonspecific chronic low back pain.
Setting aside time for exercise can make you a better physician by increasing your confidence to counsel patients and your perceived success to do so.
An expert-guided, self-help exercise program may help patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Yoga only led to moderate improvements compared with exercise or no exercise interventions in patients with low back pain.
Dr Bushnell suggests practicing yoga, as long-term yogis have higher pain tolerance and increased gray matter—including in pain-modulating brain areas—compared with that of non-practitioners.
At post-treatment examination, participants in the exercise group demonstrated a significantly greater improvement in general fatigue, physical fatigue, and mental fatigue, compared to the active control group.
Clarifying these mechanisms will allow a compelling argument to be made for exercise therapy with the goal of improving chronic pain.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Hypertension in Chronic Pain: Risk Factors
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Opioid Prescriptions Following Common Surgeries: Optimal Durations
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Opioid Use Low Among Veterans With Recent Traumatic Brain Injury Diagnosis
- Predictive Ability of Intermittent Pain Diaries in Sickle Cell Disease
- Recurrent Chest Pain Linked to Depression, Anxiety
- Nasal Sumatriptan Results in Faster Migraine Pain Relief
- Pay Inequality, Contract Negotiation Top Concerns for Female Physicians