Interbrain coupling of areas implicated in pain processing may be enhanced when romantic partners hold hands while 1 of the 2 is subjected to pain.
One physician reflects on the importance of strengthening the relationship between you and your patient, and why it matters.
A physician reflects on the fine line between creating intimacy with your patient and shielding yourself from getting too close to each and every case.
A primary care physician reflects on the advice he has provided patients over the years.
Different paths to perspective of another's experience are associated with varying effect on helpers' health during helping behavior.
Compassion directed to self is gaining acceptance as a potential therapeutic modality to complement existing treatment options for chronic pain.
Oxytocin replacement therapy could improve the well-being of people with low levels of the hormone.
Dr Buse said that in her practice, patients with chronic pain often report feeling isolated and misunderstood, and that others believe they are exaggerating their pain or somehow using it to their benefit.
Dr Bushnell suggests practicing yoga, as long-term yogis have higher pain tolerance and increased gray matter—including in pain-modulating brain areas—compared with that of non-practitioners.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer