Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaine anhydrous 1g; per scoopful; pwd for dilution and oral administration.
Rare Disease Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for CYSTADANE:
For the treatment of homocystinuria (eg, cystathionine beta-synthase [CBS] deficiency, 5, 10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase [MTHFR] deficiency, cobalamin cofactor metabolism [cbl] defect) to decrease elevated homocysteine blood levels.
Adults and Children:
Dissolve one scoop (1g betaine anhydrous pwd) in 4–6 ounces of water, juice, milk, formula, or mixed with food for immediate ingestion. <3yrs: initially 100mg/kg/day divided in twice daily doses, may increase weekly by 50mg/kg increments. ≥3yrs: 3g twice daily. Increase gradually until plasma total homocysteine is undetectable or present only in small amounts. Up to 20g/day has been used.
Hypermethioninemia. Monitor plasma methionine concentrations in patients with CBS deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
GI upset; hypermethioninemia, cerebral edema.
Bottle—180g (w. measuring scoop)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury: Causes and Management
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Migraine Frequency Correlated With Depression and Anxiety
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts