Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyproheptadine HCl 4mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyproheptadine:
Allergic and vasomotor rhinitis, conjunctivitis, urticaria, angioedema, reactions to blood. Adjunct in anaphylaxis. Cold urticaria. Dermatographism.
≥14yrs: initially 4mg 3 times daily; usual range 12–16mg/day; max 0.5mg/kg per day.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 2mg 2–3 times per day; max 12mg daily. 7–14yrs: 4mg 2–3 times per day; max 16mg daily.
MAOIs. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Elderly. Debilitated. Neonates. Premature infants. Nursing mothers.
Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Increased intraocular pressure. History of asthma. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Contraindications. Anticholinergic effects potentiated by MAOIs. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants.
Drowsiness, dizziness, paradoxical excitement, anticholinergic effects, gastritis, hypotension, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Periactin.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer