Complementary & Alternative Medicine
The HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Disease Society of America recommends that people living with HIV be screened for pain and offered both nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options.
Dr Witzeman focused on integrative modalities for the treatment of female chronic pelvic pain.
Acupuncture is a safe and effective alternative to pain medications for some emergency department patients.
While some CAM products have shown beneficial effects for migraine treatment, previous studies have not explored reasons for using CAM and the types of CAM used.
Laughter provides numerous quantifiable benefits by improving one's physiology, psychology, and general quality of life, thus positing laughter as a valuable complementary medicine option for both disease prevention and treatment.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Researchers suggest 300 minutes weekly of activities such as walking or gardening.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warning consumers to not buy or use GC Natural's Pyrola Advanced Joint Formula, an herbal supplement marketed for joint pain.
Dose-response association noted with increased fracture rates for intake below five servings/day.
Those who followed it lost average of 15 pounds, had improved blood flow to feet.
Study suggests improved coping for those whose loved ones had end-of-life care.
NeuroMetrix announced the launch of the Quell device for the treatment of chronic pain in patients with conditions such as diabetic nerve pain, low back and leg pain, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis pain.
Physical activity and fitness seem to have a positive effect on both the mental and physical characteristics of chronic pain.
Psychological benefits for children, plus lower medical bills.
Imaging studies in multiple types of chronic pain patients show their brains differ from healthy control subjects.
Less pain, analgesic drug consumption for children treated with acupuncture, standard analgesics.
Reductions in pain, pain-related bothersomeness with meditation versus exercise control.
Yoga practice and fish oil use up, some other supplement use down
Moderate/severe pain was reported by 41% of patients prior to receiving acupuncture and by 15% after acupuncture.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Virtual Reality for Pain Relief: Understanding the Underlying Mechanisms
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Opioid Prescriptions Following Common Surgeries: Optimal Durations
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Low-Dose Oromucosal Ibuprofen Effective for Relieving Sore Throat
- Survey Finds Teens Divided on Beliefs and Attitudes of Prescription Drug Abuse
- HIV-Positive Patients Experience Frequent Headaches
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Business Savvy Tips for Buying a Practice
- Diphenhydramine Decreases Pain During Colonoscopy for Chronic Opioid Users