Generic Name and Formulations:
Clomiphene citrate 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Clomiphene:
Induction of ovulation.
50mg daily for 5 days beginning on the 5th day of menstrual cycle; max 3 courses. If ovulation does not occur after 1st course, increase dose to 100mg daily for 2nd course; max 100mg/day for 5 days. See full labeling.
Primary ovarian failure. Ovarian cysts. Uterine leiomyomas. Abnormal uterine bleeding. Thrombophlebitis. Liver disease. Depression. Uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal dysfunction. Intracranial lesions. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Perform initial complete pelvic and endocrinologic exam. If ovarian enlargement occurs, hold dose until ovaries return to pretreatment size, and reduce dosage or duration of next course. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Discontinue if visual disorders occur. Metabolism disorders (eg, hypertriglyceridemia). Preexisting or family history of hyperlipidemia: monitor plasma triglycerides periodically. Nursing mothers.
Ovarian enlargement, vasomotor flushes, abdominal/pelvic discomfort/distention/bloating, nausea, vomiting, breast discomfort, visual symptoms (eg, blurred vision, lights, floaters), headache, abnormal uterine bleeding; multiple births, pancreatitis.
Formerly known under the brand name Serophene.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit