Age was the largest single variable influencing child concussion assessment scores, with worse scores reported among younger children.
An example of a simple use of technology that not only averted the inconvenience and discomfort for the child of a trip to the ER, but also avoided exposing him to additional illnesses and avoided exposing others to what he had.
Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are frequently under-dosed in children in the emergency department.
Probiotics may alleviate pain in the short-term in children with recurrent abdominal pain.
An estimated 20% of children have chronic postsurgical pain 12 months after surgery; several presurgical factors predict CPSP in these patients.
An association was found between sleep quality and next-day pain intensity in children undergoing major surgery.
Children with persistent asthma are at increased risk for migraine, and treatment with anti-asthma or anti-allergy medication may lower this risk.
A combination of treatment with CBT and the tricyclic antidepressant amitriptyline led to greater improvements in youth with chronic migraine compared with treatment with headache education and amitriptyline.
Headaches may more commonly be associated with stroke in children younger than 18 years than in adults.
Pain interference was found to mediate the relationship between pain and depression in children with chronic pain.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is an effective nonpharmacologic treatment that should be considered as a first-line therapy for pediatric migraine.
Children with neonatal abstinence syndrome may be more likely to perform poorly in school.
These warnings need to be added to the labels of these drugs, according to the FDA.
Ultimately, the trial was stopped early for futility, as an interim analysis suggested that there would be no significant difference in benefit for the preventive medications vs placebo on migraine headache frequency.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Vibrating Gloves Significantly Reduce Osteoarthritis-Related Hand Pain
- Virtual Reality for Pain Relief: Understanding the Underlying Mechanisms
- Neuroimaging for Chronic Pain: IASP Consensus Statement
- Neuroinflammation in Neuropathic Pain Indicated by Elevated Levels of Proinflammatory Chemokines in CSF
- Opioid Prescriptions Following Common Surgeries: Optimal Durations
- Liposomal Bupivacaine Effective for Shoulder Arthroplasty-Related Pain
- Reducing the P-Value for Statistical Significance to Improve the Quality of Research?
- FDA's Strategies for Managing Patients Taking CNS Depressants and Opioids
- Electrotherapy, Acupuncture May Decrease Pain Following Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Low-Dose Oromucosal Ibuprofen Effective for Relieving Sore Throat
- Survey Finds Teens Divided on Beliefs and Attitudes of Prescription Drug Abuse
- HIV-Positive Patients Experience Frequent Headaches
- Low-Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Prolongs Effects of Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Business Savvy Tips for Buying a Practice
- Diphenhydramine Decreases Pain During Colonoscopy for Chronic Opioid Users