Generic Name and Formulations:
Succimer 100mg; caps.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for CHEMET:
Lead poisoning in children with blood lead levels >45micrograms/dL.
May swallow caps whole or put contents onto a small amount of soft food or a spoon and swallow, followed by fruit drink. <12months: not recommended. ≥12months: initially 10mg/kg (or 350mg/m2) every 8 hours for 5 days, then reduce frequency to every 12 hours for 14 more days. Allow at least 14 days between courses unless blood lead levels indicate need for more prompt treatment. Treatment for more than 3 consecutive weeks: not recommended.
Monitor for rebound elevated lead levels by measuring blood levels at least once weekly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor renal and hepatic function. Monitor for neutropenia; instruct patients to report any sign of infection or rash. Renal impairment. History of hepatic dysfunction. Find and remove source of lead from environment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Other concomitant chelation therapy (e.g., EDTA): not recommended. False (+) results with nitroprusside test (e.g., Ketostix).
GI upset, elevated serum transaminases, rash, pain, cramps, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, drowsiness, paresthesia; neutropenia, mucocutaneous vesicular eruptions (rare).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit