All patients with painful bone metastasis should be referred for palliative radiotherapy to relieve the pain, regardless of age.
Childhood cancer survivors are at risk for long-term peripheral neuropathy, particularly when treated with cisplatin.
Art-based interventions could be easily implemented as an adjunct to conventional therapies for cancer-related pain and mood symptoms.
Researchers conducted a systematic literature review to identify articles that evaluated the efficacy of cryoablation to control cancer pain.
Many oncologists recommend medical marijuana clinically despite not feeling sufficiently knowledgeable about its utility.
Since the legalization of medical marijuana, clinicians must come up with appropriate responses to requests for treatment in pediatric end-of-life settings.
Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Mixture as Adjunct to Morphine May Provide Relief From Breakthrough Cancer PainJanuary 22, 2018
Self-administration of a nitrous oxide/oxygen mixture may be more effective than oxygen alone as an adjunct analgesic treatment in reducing moderate to severe breakthrough cancer pain.
Although much of the response to the opioid epidemic exempts treatment for cancer-related pain, a recent Oncology Nurse Advisor online survey showed that more than 80% of respondents were concerned about how current restrictions set up to manage the opioid crisis are affecting cancer patient pain management.
Multivitamin use before diagnosis of breast cancer is associated with reduced risk of symptoms of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.
The FDA recommended the approval of CTL019 chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
WHO has updated its Essential Medicines List to include new recommendations on which antibiotics to use for common infections and serious conditions.
Pain is far more common and widespread in ALS than previously suspected, and initial pain symptoms may predate the clinical onset of the disease's hallmark motor dysfunction by as much as 2 years.
A guideline update from the American Society for Radiation Oncology continues to support the efficacy and safety of palliative radiation therapy for bone metastases.
Fentanyl sublingual tablets are preferred over subcutaneous morphine in patients with severe breakthrough cancer pain.
Although opioids are considered a first-line treatment for late-stage cancer pain, they are often prescribed relatively late and for only a short duration before death in many patients.
Depomed has announced that Lazanda (fentanyl) nasal spray, CII, is now available at 300mcg dose strength to treat cancer pain.
Intrathecal therapy represents a valuable option for many patients with severe, refractory chronic pain.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Interventional Treatment Options for Cancer Pain
The American Pain Society next month will be welcoming pain researchers to its 35th Annual Scientific Meeting. Attendees can expect an array of educational sessions focusing on acute pain, chronic cancer and noncancer pain, and recurrent pain.
Are we overestimating the efficacy of step III analgesics?
Patients who listened to guided meditation or music during their biopsy reported significantly greater reductions in anxiety and fatigue than standard care.
Calmare therapy may be an effective option for treating cancer-related neuropathic pain.
Earlier hospice enrollment important area to focus on to improve the quality of end-of-life cancer care.
Greater cost savings for cancer patients with more comorbidities.
Risk of prostate cancer mortality reduced with regular aspirin use after diagnosis.
Two new studies shed more light on whether of aspirin can help treat breast cancer patients.
Lower overall survival for time to treatment initiation of more than 46 to 52 days.
Dependence on breathing tubes, feeding tubes might play a part in despair.
A drug that treats opioid-induced constipation has doubled advanced cancer survival rates in responders.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit