BUPHENYL POWDER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylbutyrate 940mg/gram; contains sodium 11.7g/100g of pwd.
Indications for BUPHENYL POWDER:
Adjunct in the chronic management of urea cycle disorders involving deficiencies of carbamylphosphate synthetase, ornithine transcarbamylase, or argininosuccinic acid synthetase, including neonatal-onset deficiency and late-onset disease with a history of hyperammonemic encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
<20kg: use powder. Take in equally divided doses with each meal or feeding. Mix powder with food or liquid. <20kg: 450–600mg/kg/day. ≥20kg: 9.9–13g/m2/day. Max 20g/day.
Restrict dietary protein, may need to supplement with essential amino acids. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Inborn errors of beta oxidation. Monitor serum levels of phenylbutyrate and metabolites, phenylacetate and phenylacetylglutamine. Plasma levels of ammonia, arginine, branched-chain amino acids, serum proteins: maintain within normal levels; plasma glutamine: maintain at <1000μmol/L. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by probenecid. Corticosteroids may increase plasma ammonia levels. Hyperammonemia possible with haloperidol and valproic acid.
Amenorrhea/menstrual dysfunction, acidosis, hypoalbuminemia, anemia, alkalosis, hyperchloremia, hypophosphatemia, increased alkaline phosphatase, increased liver transaminases, leukopenia, leukocytosis, decreased appetite, body odor, bad taste, taste aversion, others.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit