Generic Name and Formulations:
Praziquantel 600mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BILTRICIDE:
For the treatment of infections due to: all species of schistosoma, and infections due to the liver flukes, Clonorchis sinensis/Opisthorchis viverrini.
Adults and Children:
Swallow whole with water during meals. <4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: Schistosomiasis: 20mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs. Clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis: 25mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs.
Ocular cysticercosis. Concomitant strong CYP450 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Renal or moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. History of epilepsy. Cerebral cysticercosis: hospitalize patient for duration of treatment. Monitor patients with cardiac irregularities. Possible clinical deterioration (paradoxical reactions, serum sickness Jarisch-Herxheimer like reactions). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended and during subsequent 72hrs.
See Contraindications. Discontinue rifampin 4 weeks before giving praziquantel; may be restarted one day after completing praziquantel treatment. Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin), grapefruit juice. Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, dexamethasone).
Malaise, headache, dizziness, abdominal discomfort with or w/o nausea, fever, urticaria.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Analyzing Coverage of Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Low Back Pain
- Smartphone App Helps Evaluate Catastrophizing in Chronic Pain
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Dsuvia Gains FDA Approval: We Want to Hear Your Thoughts
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Dozens of Medical Groups Join Forces to Improve Diagnoses
- FDA Grants Non-Opioid Analgesic VVZ-149 Fast Track Status
- Little to No Association Found Between Physician Performance and Medical School Ranking