The randomized, double-blind, controlled trial (N=24,081) included patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis who required chronic NSAID treatment.
In patients with painful hip osteoarthritis, an intramuscular glucocorticoid injection may effectively alleviate hip pain in the short-term.
The results of 2 randomized controlled trials showed that filgotinib improved quality of life when given in combination with methotrexate or as monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis.
Laparoscopic gastric band surgery is associated with more improvement in knee osteoarthritis in younger patients and those without prior knee injury.
Intravenous and subcutaneous administration of tanezumab may provide similar analgesia and tolerability in patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis.
In clinical trials, treatment with Durolane resulted in greater reduction in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) pain scores at 3 and 6 months compared to Synvisc One (hylan G-F 20; Sanofi Genzyme).
The effects of glucosamine supplements in the treatment of patients with painful temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis were not superior to the effects of ibuprofen taken 2 to 3 times per day.
Hydroxychloroquine was no more effective than placebo in reducing symptoms or radiographic progression in patients with moderate to severe hand pain and radiographic osteoarthritis.
Unilateral and bilateral knee pain may be associated with development of prefrailty and frailty over 6 years.
In addition to being safer and more cost-effective, short-acting opioids are comparable with long-acting opioids for pain management in patients with chronic osteoarthritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Lower Weighting of Hand Cortical Representations in CRPS
- Predicting Success of Focal Nerve Surgery Based on Diagnostic Block Response
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- FDA Announces Draft Guidance for Consumer OTC Access to Previously Prescription Drugs
- Maryland Legislature: Will Federal Courts Permit State Regulation of Drug Prices?