The randomized, double-blind, controlled trial (N=24,081) included patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis who required chronic NSAID treatment.
In patients with painful hip osteoarthritis, an intramuscular glucocorticoid injection may effectively alleviate hip pain in the short-term.
The results of 2 randomized controlled trials showed that filgotinib improved quality of life when given in combination with methotrexate or as monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis.
Laparoscopic gastric band surgery is associated with more improvement in knee osteoarthritis in younger patients and those without prior knee injury.
Intravenous and subcutaneous administration of tanezumab may provide similar analgesia and tolerability in patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis.
In clinical trials, treatment with Durolane resulted in greater reduction in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) pain scores at 3 and 6 months compared to Synvisc One (hylan G-F 20; Sanofi Genzyme).
The effects of glucosamine supplements in the treatment of patients with painful temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis were not superior to the effects of ibuprofen taken 2 to 3 times per day.
Hydroxychloroquine was no more effective than placebo in reducing symptoms or radiographic progression in patients with moderate to severe hand pain and radiographic osteoarthritis.
Unilateral and bilateral knee pain may be associated with development of prefrailty and frailty over 6 years.
In addition to being safer and more cost-effective, short-acting opioids are comparable with long-acting opioids for pain management in patients with chronic osteoarthritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit