New Inflammation Treatment Acquired by Pharmalink
the Clinical Pain Advisor take:
Pharmalink AB has acquired a novel product currently in development for treating inflammation from Synartro AB.
Synartro had been developing the product using their drug delivery technology to make pharmaceuticals that act locally and limit systemic exposure. The product consists of an anti-inflammatory drug that has been conjugated to a biopolymer. It has shown promising results in pre-clinical studies for the treatment of osteoarthritis, and Pharmalink plans to bring the product through clinical trials.
Pharmalink is a speciality pharmaceutical company that focuses on developing products for niche and orphan indications. They have previously developed similar, locally-acting, anti-inflammatory drugs with limited systemic uptake. Their product, Nefecon, is an oral, modified-release capsule of budesonide, currently in Phase 2b clinical development for patients with IgA neuropathy who are at risk of developing end-stage renal disease.
“The acquisition of this novel product opportunity is a great addition to our pipeline and an example of the progress we are making in executing our strategy.” Johan Häggblad, Managing Director of Pharmalink, said in a press release. “This candidate product offers exciting potential for development in multiple inflammatory indications where local administration of the drug without systemic effects is important. It is also a good strategic fit with our existing clinical-stage portfolio.”
The product will be indicated for osteoarthritis.
Pharmalink AB, a specialty pharma company, recently announced that it has acquired a novel product candidate in development for treating inflammation from Synartro AB. No financial details were disclosed.
The product candidate, which consists of an anti-inflammatory drug conjugated to a biopolymer, was developed using Synartro's drug delivery technology to create locally acting pharmaceuticals with limited systemic exposure.
Pharmalink intends to develop the product for osteoarthritis, an indication where it has demonstrated promising results in pre-clinical studies. Pharmalink officials said they will apply the formulation and clinical development expertise to advance the candidate product through clinical trials toward market.
Pharmalink's most advanced product is Nefecon, a new oral, modified-release capsule of the corticosteroid, budesonide, in Phase 2b clinical development for treating patients with IgA nephropathy at risk of developing end-stage renal disease, despite optimized standard-of-care therapy.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Non-Opioid Therapies for Pain Management in the ED
- CBT vs Pain Education for Chronic Pain in Low-Income Clinics
- Risks Associated With Intra-Articular Lumbar Facet Joint Injections of Triamcinolone Acetonide for Low Back Pain
- Factors Predicting Pain Outcomes After TKR for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Lumbar Disc Herniation With Radiculopathy Treatment Using Targeted Indwelling ESI
- Exploring the Connections Between Neuropathic Pain and Comorbid Mood Disorders
- Medical Marijuana Laws, Dispensaries May Reduce Deaths From Opioid Overdose
- Ketamine Infusion May Be Effective for the Short-Term Relief of CRPS-Associated Pain
- An Avenue for the Development of Opioid Adjuncts for Enhanced Analgesia, Reduced Abuse Potential
- Spinal Manipulative Therapy May Effectively Reduce Cervicogenic Headache Days
- Peripherally Acting Opioid and Cannabinoid May Be Effective for Neuropathic Pain
- Positive Affect, Resilience, and Pain in MS With Chronic Pain
- Addressing Clinician Burnout at the Institutional Level
- Glucosamine vs Ibuprofen for Painful Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis
- Chronic Pain in Adolescents and Alexithymia