ARMOUR THYROID Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Thyroid 15mg (¼ grain), 30mg (½ grain), 60mg (1 grain), 90mg (1 + ½ grain), 120mg (2 grains), 180mg (3 grains)+, 240mg (4 grains), 300mg (5 grains)+; tabs; +scored. Each grain of thyroid contains liothyronine (T3) 9mcg and levothyroxine (T4) 38mcg.
Indications for ARMOUR THYROID:
Hypothyroidism: initially 30mg daily (long-standing myxedema: initially 15mg daily); increase by 15mg every 2–3 weeks; usual maintenance: 60–120mg daily. Myxedema coma: see literature.
Hypothyroidism: <6months: 4.8–6mg/kg daily. 6–12months: 3.6–4.8mg/kg daily; 1–5yrs: 3–3.6mg/kg daily; 6–12yrs: 2.4–3mg/kg daily; ≥12yrs: 1.2–1.8mg/kg daily.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Toxicity with large doses of sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics).
T3 and T4 (porcine derived).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Tabs 15mg, 90mg, 240mg, 300mg—100; 30mg, 120mg, 180mg—100, 1000; 60mg—100, 1000, 5000
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit