Addressing chronic pain in veterans
Cross-disciplinary collaborations for chronic pain
The Oversight Committee for the NIH Health and Human Services National Pain Strategy's agenda sets objectives for 6 main areas of pain care and management.
🎥 Dr James Campbell's team is developing safe, non-addictive and effective therapies to treat chronic pain using a big data approach, and focusing on osteoarthritis, chronic low back pain and headache.
Setting patient expectations of early pain relief may help influence treatment outcomes.
🎥 The long-established 'Pain Catastrophizing Scale' takes magnification, rumination and helplessness into account. Researchers at the University of Alabama considered additional measures of negative cognition associated with pain to reach a 'global catastrophizing measure'.
🎥 Psychosocial variables to help predict pain levels in patients with mixed chronic pain conditions and similar demographics and socioeconomic backgrounds.
🎥 University of Alabama researchers use a psychosocial approach to the management of pain, by instructing patients to leverage their thoughts and feelings to improve their pain experience, and by establishing a relationship of trust between the patient and their healthcare provider.
As the research of Dr Colloca suggests, any pain treatment, in order to be effective, needs to take the psychosocial context into account.
Poor Diet Leads to Prolonged Recovery From Induced Chronic Pain: An Interview of the Study Researcher
🎥 A diet mimicking the poor American diet, with 3-fold higher omega 6 to omega 3 ratio, prolongs recovery from induced chronic pain in rats.
🎥 Abuse-deterrent formulations for prescription drug abuse are effective in reducing snorting and injection, but abusers switch to an oral route of administration. New abuse-deterrent formulations will need to discourage all routes of administration.
Physicians treating patients affected by pain need to help patients gain more access to treatment quickly.
Manual therapy uses skilled passive movement of joints and soft tissues to improve range of motion, mobility, and function.
Data suggest that photic-squint or photophobia could be potential biomarkers for migraine pain, amenable to treatment with CGRP-based therapeutics.
Researchers discuss resilience in patients with chronic pain at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society.
Researchers discuss why peripheral opioid receptors are normally inactive.
The American Pain Society (APS) and Pfizer Independent Grants for Learning and Change (IGLC) are collaborating to offer a new funding opportunity focused on improving the care for individuals with chronic pain
🎥 Processing of painful stimuli may be facilitated by a HIV surface glycoprotein, GP120 found to be at higher levels in HIV patients experiencing pain. Patients with detectable viral loads might be at increased risk for hyperalgesia and allodynia.
Predictive factors for post-operative chronic pain that were considered in past studies, included age and other demographic factors, as well as pre-operative pain.
Sign Up for Free e-Newsletters
Check out what's trending
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit