Generic Name and Formulations:
Dalfampridine 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AMPYRA:
To improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (demonstrated by an increase in walking speed).
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: max 10mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
History of seizures. Moderate to severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min). Previous allergies to 4-aminopyridine.
Assess renal function before initiation; monitor at least annually. Mild renal impairment (CrCl 51–80mL/min): increased risk of seizures. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Discontinue other forms of 4-aminopyridine prior to initiating. Concomitant OCT2 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine) may potentiate the risk of seizures.
Potassium channel blocker.
UTI, insomnia, dizziness, headache, nausea, asthenia, back pain, balance disorder, MS relapse, paresthesia, nasopharyngitis, constipation, dyspepsia, throat pain; seizures (possible at higher doses), severe allergic reactions.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis