Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinyl estradiol 30micrograms (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for ALTAVERA:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Pre-menarchal: not applicable.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Valvular heart disease with thrombogenic complications. Uncontrolled hypertension. Diabetes with vascular involvement. Headaches with focal neurological symptoms. Major surgery with prolonged immobilization. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior pill use. Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, MI, stroke, VTE). Smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism. Gallbladder disease. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Depression. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Hypertension: monitor BP. Do regular complete physical exams. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort, topiramate); use backup contraception. May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs, atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, itraconazole, ketoconazole. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones.
Progestin + estrogen.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, bleeding irregularities, dysmenorrhea, weight change, mastodynia, acne, abdominal pain, anxiety, depression; angioedema, chloasma, others (see full labeling).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit