Generic Name and Formulations:
Palonosetron (as HCl) 0.075mg/1.5mL, 0.25mg/5mL; IV inj; contains mannitol.
Helsinn Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for ALOXI:
Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of emetogenic chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, in children 1 month–<17yrs. Prevention of post-op nausea and vomiting for up to 24hrs after surgery in adults.
≥17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.25mg IV as a single-dose over 30 secs. Post-op: give immediately before anesthesia induction. 0.075mg IV over 10 secs.
<1 month: not established. 1 month–<17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.02mg/kg IV as a single-dose over 15 mins; max 1.5mg/dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, constipation, bradycardia, QT prolongation, diarrhea, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension.
Single-use vial (0.075mg/1.5mL)—5; (0.25mg/5mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Examining the Efficacy of Different Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache Attacks
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds