Generic Name and Formulations:
Palonosetron (as HCl) 0.075mg/1.5mL, 0.25mg/5mL; IV inj; contains mannitol.
Indications for ALOXI:
Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of emetogenic chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, in children 1 month–<17yrs. Prevention of post-op nausea and vomiting for up to 24hrs after surgery in adults.
≥17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.25mg IV as a single-dose over 30 secs. Post-op: give immediately before anesthesia induction. 0.075mg IV over 10 secs.
<1 month: not established. 1 month–<17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.02mg/kg IV as a single-dose over 15 mins; max 1.5mg/dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, constipation, bradycardia, QT prolongation, diarrhea, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension.
Single-use vial (0.075mg/1.5mL)—5; (0.25mg/5mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis