Self-stigma and perceived stigma were shown to be highest among people with opioid use disorders who have previously entered detoxification programs or who have recently injected drugs.
Standing orders for naloxone allow it to be dispensed to laypeople without a patient-specific prescription.
Dr Koob and colleagues hope that the comprehensive measures presented by the ANA will allow for future understanding of addiction origins at a biological level.
Researchers discovered novel opioid analgesics, displaying reduced respiratory depression.
The COR-12 treatment program includes group therapy and lectures that focus on opioid addiction, as well as 2 extended medication assistance options.
Buprenorphine implants could help improve relapse prevention in patients who are currently maintaining abstinence with sublingual buprenorphine
This week, an FDA committee of outside experts will meet to review risk-management plans in an effort to reduce opioids misuse.
Several patients were noted to have taken the counterfeit drug in California.
Combination of a motivational interviewing and enhanced brochures successful in reducing behaviors associated with opioid overdose.
Preoperative opioid use is a better predictor for prolonged postoperative opioid use than pain, substance abuse, and affective disorder.
Genome-wide association ID'd three independent regions with single nucleotide polymorphisms.
Lower rate of relapse compared with usual treatment in trial involving criminal justice offenders.
Researchers found the importance of intense behavioral health follow-up to reduce the occurrence of neonatal abstinence syndrome.
New research reviews nationwide patterns of painkiller prescribing following surgical tooth extraction.
Letters were sent to physicians who were found to be prescribing addictive drugs such as opioids 400% more than colleagues.
The committee voted 12 to 5 in favor of approving probuphine, the first long-acting, subdermal buprenorphine implant to treat addiction to opioids.
More than half of women (52%) and about a third (38%) of men reported doctor-prescribed painkillers as their first contact with opioids.
Although there are signs that efforts to reduce nonmedical prescription opioid use are working, complications from opioid-related disorders continue to be a problem.
Evidence-based recommendations are available to assist clinicians in the care of those addicted to opioid analgesics.
The opioid crisis in the United States is growing, and it's hitting communities in various ways. No longer is opioid addiction only hitting a specific group of individuals -- it's affecting everyone.
Special Task Force aims to curb 'epidemic' of addiction to opioids such as Oxycontin, Vicodin.
At the end of the last century, there was a movement in pain management toward opioid use for chronic pain. The rationale was that people with chronic pain were suffering needlessly because of concerns that chronic opioid therapy (COT) would lead to addiction.
Prescription opioid addiction often precedes use of street drug.
Published in Anesthesiology, the journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, a new report concluded that patients with psychiatric disorders such as depression or anxiety are more likely to abuse opioids prescribed for chronic lower back pain.
A new report in the CDC's Vital Signs outlines key findings associated with heroin use disorders, including demographics and the need for comprehensive treatment strategies.
The companies behind Probuphine, which releases buprenorphine to combat opioid addiction, are hoping the FDA will approve the device in 2016.
Clinicians prescribing pharmacotherapies to patients with opioid use disorder are getting some help from the ASAM.
The drug helps to reduce the "high" that users experience from the drug.
New data shows a reduction in abuse, addiction, and opioid poisoning diagnoses following the introduction of reformulated oxycodone HCl extended-release tablets.
About 25% of drug abusers entering rehab reported abusing reformulated OxyContin (oxycodone HCl) despite package labeling that highlights the abuse-deterrent properties.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force