In addition to genetic variability, several other internal and external factors play a role in medication metabolism.
Understanding social mechanisms that underlie these differences can help practitioners create tailored interventions for pain in these populations.
In terms of sustainability, medicine must address the foundational elements of a patient's symptoms to be effective and sustainable.
Off-label use of commercially available cosmetic cross-linked hyaluronic acid provided relief in patients with neuropathic pain.
Drug screening is increasingly becoming part of the standard of care in pain management.
Multiple neurotransmitters and proteins that are targeted in existing migraine therapies may also play a role in modulating satiety.
No increased risk for opioid withdrawal observed among patients on full mu-opioid agonist therapy who were switched to a buprenorphine buccal film without tapering.
Patients with chronic pain are already stigmatized, distrustful of physicians, and vulnerable to coercion.
Sometimes the prescription becomes the problem when patients become less sensitive to opioids.
Prescription drug monitoring programs offer prescribers another tool to prevent opioid abuse, misuse, and diversion.
Department of Defense and Veterans Health Administration Initiatives Support Comprehensive Pain Management ApproachesSeptember 18, 2015
The Joint Pain Education Program and the Acupuncture Training Across Clinical Settings are two initiatives currently underway to improve comprehensive pain management for veterans.
Creating better patient-centered, multidisciplinary pain management approaches will require cultural transformation.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Trigger Point Injections, Pulsed Radiofrequency for Abdominal Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Safety, Efficacy of Lidocaine Infusion for Prolonged Neuropathic Pain
- Assessing the Efficacy of Low-Dose Amitriptyline for Idiopathic Chronic Neck Pain
- CBT vs Pain Education for Chronic Pain in Low-Income Clinics
- Trigger Point Dry Needling Plus Exercise Cost-Effective for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Exploring the Connections Between Neuropathic Pain and Comorbid Mood Disorders
- Medical Marijuana Laws, Dispensaries May Reduce Deaths From Opioid Overdose
- Ketamine Infusion May Be Effective for the Short-Term Relief of CRPS-Associated Pain
- An Avenue for the Development of Opioid Adjuncts for Enhanced Analgesia, Reduced Abuse Potential
- Spinal Manipulative Therapy May Effectively Reduce Cervicogenic Headache Days
- Chronic Pain in Adolescents and Alexithymia
- Bedside Quantitative Sensory Testing May Reliably Assess Sensory Profiles in Neuropathic Pain
- Peripheral Neuropathy Management in the Primary Care Setting: A Guide
- The Link Between Medical Malpractice and Defensive Medicine
- Drug Copayments Often Exceed Prescription Drug Costs