American Academy of Pain Medicine 2017 Annual Meeting: Focus on Public Health
Tune in to Clinical Pain Advisor's live conference coverage.
Clinical Pain Advisor will be attending the 33rd annual meeting of the American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM), March 16-19, 2017, in Orlando, Florida.
The theme of this year's conference, Pain as a Public Health Issue, in addition to being an integral part of the meeting's presentations and posters, will be the focus of the keynote address by AAPM president, Daniel B. Carr, MD, on March 17. In a message to conference attendees, Dr Carr emphasized the “pressing need for pain medicine clinicians to address this major public health burden through evidence-based treatments and practice.”1
Dr Carr added, “AAPM was established to advocate for the model of multidisciplinary, interprofessional care that applies both nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic measures tailored to the needs of the individual. Such an approach, together with preclinical research that may be translated into novel, nonaddictive therapies, is needed more than ever.”
During the conference, Presidential Commendation Awards will honor clinicians and researchers “for their exceptional service to the field of Pain Medicine.” Among the honorees, Sean Mackey, MD, PhD, chief of the division of pain medicine at Stanford University, will receive the Distinguished Service Award, and R. Norman Harden, MD, will be the recipient of the Founders Award, “given for continued contributions for the basic or clinical science of pain medicine or for demonstration of clinical excellence or innovation in the practice of pain medicine.”
Tune in to Clinical Pain Advisor's live conference coverage focused on:
- Strategies for optimal acute pain care in light of the opioid crisis
- Behavioral health and pain education interventions for patients
- Emerging treatments for central neuropathic pain syndromes
- Safe prescribing competencies in health professions curricula
- Assessment and management of fibromyalgia
- Strategies for intrathecal drug delivery
- Chronic migraine education program by the American Headache Society
- Stem cell therapy for degenerative musculoskeletal and spine conditions
And much more, including interviews with renowned pain practitioners and researchers from around the country.
- Carr DB. The American Academy of Pain Medicine's 33rd Annual Meeting and Preconference Programs. Available at: http://www.painmed.org/annualmeeting/files/2017-annual-meeting-program-book.pdf. Accessed March 8, 2017.