22 Strange ICD-10 Codes You Never Thought You'd Need
Occupant of Animal-Drawn Vehicle Injured by Fall (V80.02XA)
Naturally from or being thrown from animal-drawn vehicle in noncollision accident. This is what happens when you laugh at Rudolph and call him names.
Toxic Effect of Contact with Portuguese Man o' war, intentional self harm (T63.612A)
Don't touch it. Don't touch it. You touched it.
Bitten by Orca (W56.21X)
Reserved for workers at Sea World mainly.
Other Contact With Pig (W55.49X)
What contact you ask? Well, it's got to be something other than bitten (W55.41X) or struck (W55.42X). Those have codes of their own.
Discord With Boss and Workmates (Z56.4)
Fighting like cats and dogs earns you a code.
Shock Due to Being Struck By Lightning (T75.01X)
We can see how this could be shocking.
Opera House as the Place of Occurrence of the External Cause (Y92.253)
Follow-up question: Was a phantom involved?
Chicken Coop as the Place of Occurrence of External Cause (Y92.72)
Only under egg-ceptional circumstances should you enter a chicken's home.
Prolonged Stay in Weightless Environment (X52.XXX)
Because astronauts are patients too.
Bizarre Personal Appearance (R46.1)
In case you're feeling particularly judgy, there's a code for that.
Unspecified Place in Prison as the Place of Occurrence of the External Cause (Y92.149)
Injuries occurring in the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, cell, swimming pool (?), and courtyard all have their own codes.
Fear of Injury (F40.233)
Who doesn't have this fear? Oh wait.
Burn Due to Water Skis on Fire (V91.07X)
Impressive and worthy of its own code.
Walked Into Lamppost (W22.02X)
This is the before picture.
Very Low Level of Personal Hygiene (R46.0)
Sage medical advice: Rub some dirt on it.
Sucked Into Jet Engine (V97.33X)
You never know when this code will come in handy, plane and simple.
Discord With Neighbors, Lodgers and Landlord (Z59.2)
Can't we all just get along?
Fall On Board Merchant Ship (V93.30X)
Not to be confused with falling on cruise ship due to alcohol use, unspecified with intoxication, uncomplicated (F10.920).
Activity, Drum and Other Percussion Instrument Playing (Y93.J2)
Reserved for overenthusiastic Muppets.
Struck By Tennis Racket (W21.12X)
No 'love' involved with this move.
Problems in Relationship With In-Laws (Z63.1)
This is a code that's probably worth remembering, especially around the holidays!
It's just a typical Saturday, you're riding your horse-drawn cart into town when suddenly you have a noncollision accident which throws you to the ground. You lie there, and for the life of you, you can't remember the ICD-10 code for this very scenario.
Well, we've got you covered. Peruse our list of obscure ICD-10 codes at your leisure and be prepared for any eventual noncollision horse-cart accidents.
This slideshow originally appeared here.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Brain Plasticity in Patients With Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Perturbation-Based Rehabilitation Effective for Chronic Low Back Pain
- IBS-Associated Chronic Pain: Formulation of Core Diagnostic Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Relationship Between Pain and Negative Affect
- Fluoroscopically Guided Sacroiliac Interventions: Appropriate Use Criteria
- Cannabis Use Associated With Aberrant Drug Behaviors
- Walgreens to Carry Naloxone in All Pharmacies to Combat Drug Abuse
- Independent Pharmacies Expanding Services Available to Patients
- Ketamine Exhibits Effective Pain Relief for Refractory Headaches
- Pain In Elite Athletes: IOC Recommendations on Contributing Factors and Treatment Approach
- Naproxen Plus Muscle Relaxants vs Naproxen Monotherapy for Low Back Pain
- Pain Processing: Examining the Role of Oxytocin
- Short- vs Long-Acting Opioids for Osteoarthritis Pain
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Injections Reduce Opioid Dependence
- Depressive Symptoms in Medical Interns Increased With Work-Family Conflicts