Latest Features & Opinion
Chronic, noninflammatory pain in children and adolescents encompasses a wide range of pain syndromes. Clinicians need to consider not only the physical manifestations of pain but also the psychosocial and academic impact of the child's pain and impairment.
The continued observation of this delayed headache syndrome may point to a different pathophysiology from tension-type headache or acute poststroke headache.
The perioperative management of pain in patients with opioid use disorders presents multiple challenges to clinicians. A recent review offered clinical guidance for various subgroups of these individuals.
Up to 85% of amputees experience phantom limb pain: sensations in the missing limb that patients may describe as burning, cramping, tingling, itching, stabbing, throbbing, or a feeling of "pins and needles."
Abuse-deterrent opioid formulations have not yet been widely accepted despite their proposed value in reducing opioid abuse and related mortality. Many of the current barriers to broader use are related to their higher cost compared with conventional formulations.
Big data has enabled public health authorities to identify doctor-shopping patients and those who needed treatment for opioid abuse. The trade-off, however, could be patient and provider privacy.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- Patterns of Non-Medical Prescription Opioid Use in Adolescents
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- Factors Promoting Participation in Self-Management Training Program for Chronic Pain
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Long Wait Times Between Referral and Interdisciplinary Pediatric Chronic Pain Evaluation
- Updated Evidence-Based Recommendations for Buprenorphine Treatment
- Four Pain Susceptibility Phenotypes Identified in Knee Osteoarthritis
- Technological Breakthroughs in Medicine Move Physician-Patient Interactions From The Computer Screen Back to the Exam Room
- Stepped-Care Model Beneficial in Pain Management Practices in Primary Care
- Nonexpert Clinicians Lack Tools for Diagnosing Headache Disorders